RSS

Recent Posts

The Freezing Man
Mud Puddle Evangelism
Not The Right One
Does anyone remember Popeye?
Pray for us!

Categories

Blog
My Stories
News
powered by

My Blog

Don't Give Up On Us!

Dear Friends:

It’s amazing isn’t it! There are times when you are doing your very best and nothing seems to be happening. Sometimes it even feels like a lost cause.

In El Cajon, Ca. we saw a need to minister to the un-churched children and teens of our community. Each Wednesday we ran our van and a bus into the community to pick-up whoever wanted to come. What we discovered was that many of the children were absolutely great, but there were a few that could give you gray hair.

My friend, Don and I agreed that we would teach the teen class. I knew the kids from riding my bus and had built a good rappor with them. They liked me and Don and we liked them!.

On one very difficult night, the teens came to church in rare form. They would not quieten down. I pleaded with them. Nothing happened. I used my low voice of authority. Nothing happened. I raised my voice, and if anything it got worse. I could not get a sentence out without a major disturbance stopping me.

I closed my book and I said, "Get on the bus!” They ran out of the room and fought to get on the bus first. Someone asked, "Where we going pastor?" I said, "I’m taking you home! You refused to behave. I’m done with you! I’m taking you home."

There was a long silence. Then one girl spoke up from the rear of the bus: "Pastor, don’t give up on us. Don’t give up on us.”

She stabbed me in the heart with her words. I didn’t want to give up on them. I just did not know what else to do.

The next week we went back and picked the kids up for one more opportunity to share the life changing gospel.

I have since heard the pleading voice of the young girl, many times over the years. There have been times when things haven’t gone as I had hoped or planned, times where I’ve just wanted to quit. I've felt, "Beside what difference does it make?" Then I hear, “Pastor, don’t give up on us.”

A few years after I left California, I later heard that one of those teenaged girls on that bus was killed in a drive by shooting. I pray that the time that we were together, talking laughing, and even pleading for their attention, did not go “Void.” I pray that they will remember the people who gave them a ride on the bus, taught them, played games with them and loved them. I hope they remember that the message the pastor and volunteers shared was the message of Hope.

“Pastor don’t give up on us.”

7 Comments to Don't Give Up On Us!:

Comments RSS
rayban yalaecom on Sunday, June 01, 2014 12:32 PM
Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I've added you guys to my own blogroll.
Reply to comment

Fussball Wette on Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:03 AM
Und tun sie nicht Wette a Team weil Mitarbeiter . Online Pferdewetten Dies sind nur ein paar auf die Internet-Websites entdecken auf die Web ; Sie entdecken unzaehlige mehr draussen , jede mit einzigartigen Techniken bis Gewinn riesigen und erwerben ausgezeichnete Vorteile.
Reply to comment

writing services company on Saturday, May 26, 2018 8:18 AM
I am using the trinitybiblefellowshipnazarene blog for better topics about community and doing the better process and rappor with them. The nothing happened refused toe behave the more chances on the bus first.
Reply to comment

Cafe Racer Biker J on Monday, March 04, 2019 7:07 AM
Wow! I’m browsing away perusing your web journal from my lap! Simply needed to say I adore perusing your website and anticipate every one of your posts! Carry on the eminent work.Feel free to browse for getting more information about writing work
Reply to comment

Sylvester Stall on Thursday, March 07, 2019 4:52 AM
I have been through several post in this very blog. But for now, this subject really catches my attention and interest. It is a great idea to offer an art class. I'm excited to enroll and try your service. So far, this is my favorite art class. Even kids can join in here. I would love to spend my time here, it would be worth it
Reply to comment

Taxi Service on Friday, March 08, 2019 6:38 AM
It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not that good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading. I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!
Reply to comment

Phoenix Jacket on Wednesday, May 08, 2019 4:43 AM
It's great to see this post. I really appreciate your work
Reply to comment